There are several national laws, decrees and guidelines as well as international regulations that set the safety requirements for activity services. The functions required in the provision of activity services are discussed under the following sections:
Consumer Safety Act
More information: Tukes – Consumer safety
- The purpose of the Act is to ensure the safety of consumer goods and services, to prevent and effectively eliminate risks to health and property involved in consumer goods and services, to secure high-quality consumer safety control and to improve the operating conditions for operators.
- The Consumer Safety Act and supervision thereof is coordinated and implemented by the Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency (Tukes).
Occupational Safety and Health Act
More information: Occupational Safety and Health Administration – Current regulations
- The objectives of the Occupational Safety and Health Act are to improve the working environment and working conditions in order to ensure and maintain the working capacity of employees as well as to prevent occupational accidents and diseases and eliminate other hazards from work and the working environment to the physical and mental health of employees.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Act is coordinated by the Regional State Administrative Agency, which is also the supervisory authority for the act.
More information: Rescue services – Laws and decrees
- The purpose of the Rescue Act is to improve the safety of people and to reduce the number of accidents. The purpose of the Act is also to ensure that when there is the threat of an accident or when an accident has occurred, people are rescued, important functions are secured and the consequences of the accident are successfully limited.
- The Rescue Act is coordinated by the Ministry of the Interior Department for Rescue Services, the Regional State Administrative Agency and the regional rescue departments. The local supervisory authorities are the chief fire officer and fire inspector.
Land Use and Building Act
More information: Ministry of the Environment – Land use and building
- This act regulates the planning, construction and use of buildings and areas.
- The Land Use and Building Act is coordinated by the Ministry of the Environment. The local supervisory authorities are the Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Centre) and the municipal building supervision authority (building inspector).
An accommodation provider may conduct a variety of operations and, therefore, the above legislation may not cover the entire business of the company. However, they specify the relevant factors related to safety.
PERMITS AND NOTICES
More information: Tukes.fi – Consumer safety
- According to the Consumer Safety Act, providers of certain services have the obligation to draw up a written safety document.
- Safety planning carried out in writing – the safety document – is the service provider’s tool for the arrangement and recording of safety activity.
A rescue plan is required for a building or other site
- which is exceptionally demanding with regard to evacuation safety or rescue operations
- where the risk to the safety of persons or to fire safety or the risk to the environment or cultural property, or the damage caused by any accident, may be considered serious.
The supervisory authority is the rescue authority.
More information: Ymparisto.fi – Permits related to land use and building
- Buildings must meet the requirements set for their intended use.
- The actual use of a building must be in line with the permit issued for the building.
- The final inspection (or commissioning inspection) related to a building permit (or an action permit) must be completed before the building is put to use.
- The construction of professional buildings or structures (such as tourist attractions) made of snow, ice or slush is subject to an action or building permit.
The supervisory authority is the municipal building supervision authority (building inspector).