The Phenomena of Arctic Nature education material includes two themes:
- Nature-based tourism in protected areas
- Planning concepts for nature-based tourism
The themes are divided further into modules and lessons.
The objective is to provide principles, practices and tools for understanding nature-based tourism and concept planning.
The education material is meant for nature-based tourism entrepreneurs, municipalities and tourism destinations, organizations managing nature protection areas and nature centres, students as well as anyone interested in developing nature-based tourism.
The education material can be used for example
- as orientation and education material
- developing and planning concepts for nature-based tourism services
- strategic business and concept planning
- self-study material as a part of or to substitute other courses
The education material is completely open, digital and independent of time and place. The education material is based on modules and lessons which can be studied separately.
The modules contain the learning aims and one or more lessons that introduce the topic. The lessons include various learning materials such as presentations, articles, case examples, videos and figures as well as reflection tasks, practical tools and templates which help to understand, review, reflect and apply the content.
Tools and templates
Here you can find practical tools and templates for developing nature-based tourism and concept planning. You may download the files for yourself. Most of the pdf files you can fill in online and then save for yourself with your comments.
- PESTEL-analysis in the lesson on Introduction to Operating Environment
- The 10 As of destination in the lesson on Destination Identity
- Destination Identity Template (pptx) in the lesson on Destination Identity
- Business Model Canvas in the lesson on Value Proposition
- SWOT template in the lesson on Markets and Trends
- Stakeholder map in the lesson on Networks
- Customer Insight Instrument (excel) in the lesson on Customer Insight
- Customer Persona Template in the lesson on Customer Segmentation and Personas
- Empathy Map 1 and Empathy map 2 in the lesson on Customer Segmentation and Personas
- Customer journey template in the lesson on Customer Journey
- Customer Service Oriented Tourism Product Model in the lesson on Service Product
- Memorable Experience Design Canvas in the lesson on Memorable Experience
- Notes on tourism product pricing in the lesson on Price
- Product card in the lesson on Product Card
- Green Care Quality Manual
Angeria, M., Hirvaskari, M. & Kähkönen, O. (Eds) 2022. Phenomena of Arctic Nature. Principles and Practices of Nature-based Tourism. Rovaniemi: Lapland University of Applied Sciences.
Angeria, M., Hirvaskari, M., Kähkönen, O. & Tapaninen, M. 2022. Phenomena of Arctic Nature. Tools for Developing Nature-based Tourism Business. Rovaniemi: Lapland University of Applied Sciences.